• Clean bathrooms/ locker rooms
• 30 minute breaks between 5 minute classes
• One popular person/ group takes over the school
• Popularity based on wealth or possessions ( because one would likely be robbed and stabbed by the end of the day)
• An hour-long lunch break
• Walking the halls after the bell without a hall pass
• The use of electronics in school WHATSOEVER
• fashion runway dress code
What I did have:
• Block scheduling
• Potheads galore (including faculty)
• 7Eleven/Starbucks pit-stop before class
• Attending class in whatever he/ she slept in.
• 3 kids dead before graduation
• 1 out of 5 girls pregnant by graduation
• Lame ass prom with corny DJ
• Clique lunch tables based on activities, not popularity (theater, art, band, school news paper, sports, ect.)
• Alcoholic gym/health teacher
• Lesbian soccer/basketball coach
• Teacher student sex scandal/ drug bust
• Semiannual bomb threat
• Catfight leading to bloodshed and police involvement
Now this was the high school I remember, and it's 100% TRUE. My teenage years weren’t bad, but not much was good about it either. One thing for sure, no one could say it wasn’t interesting.
There are a bunch of YA books that make school look like 90210 and it’s not real. People write about this time because it’s a coming of age experience that most people can relate to. Not every high school is the same, thus the cookie cutter high school becomes a cliché and dishonest. Make your world and everything in it stand out. We all had lockers at some point, but the combination lock is what made it unique and rightfully yours.