Featured Post

The Cambion Chronicles ( Book 4)

Hey guys! Have you ever had a story in your head that you just had to get out? The characters you created are so lively and outg...

__________________________________________________________

__________________________________________________________

Recent Posts

Thursday, October 20, 2011

INTERVIEW With Jodi Meadows

Hey guys. Here’s another interview with another fabulous author from The Apocalypsies group who I happen to be stalking part-time. (I do have to sleep) Not only has Jodi Meadows not pressed charges, but was kind enough to grant us a peek Inside the Writer’s Notebook. Her debut YA fantasy INCARNATE, (Katherine Tegen Books/HarperCollins) explores life, love, and whether recycling is good for the soul. A play on words? Maybe? Intrigued? Hell yes! Let’s get started.

So Jodi, tell us a bit about your book. Lay out the premise.

Here's the flap copy:

 


  


NEWSOUL
Ana is new. For thousands of years in Range, a million souls have been reincarnated over and over, keeping their memories and experiences from previous lifetimes. When Ana was born, another soul vanished, and no one knows why.


NOSOUL
Even Ana’s own mother thinks she’s a nosoul, an omen of worse things to come, and has kept her away from society. To escape her seclusion and learn whether she’ll be reincarnated, Ana travels to the city of Heart, but its citizens are suspicious and afraid of what her presence means. When dragons and sylph attack the city, is Ana to blame?


HEART
Sam believes Ana’s new soul is good and worthwhile. When he stands up for her, their relationship blooms. But can he love someone who may live only once, and will Ana’s enemies—human and creature alike—let them be together? Ana needs to uncover the mistake that gave her someone else’s life, but will her quest threaten the peace of Heart and destroy the promise of reincarnation for all?

What do you enjoy most about your genre?
I love the freedom of writing SFF. There are no rules. There's only what works, and what makes a good story.

What is your favorite YA book and why?
I hate picking favorites. It always makes me feel guilty about the billion other books I didn't pick. But here are a few favorites: PEGASUS by Robin McKinley; PLAIN KATE by Erin Bow; THE GIRL OF FIRE AND THORNS by Rae Carson; THE GIVER by Lois Lowry; SHADE by Jeri Smith-Ready; THE NEAR WITCH by Victoria Schwab; HEX HALL by Rachel Hawkins. I could go on. And on. And on. I will stop now because this list could get ridiculous fast.

Music can be a great influence to a story. Do you have a playlist that inspired yours?
I don't have much in particular. I listened to "Drought" by Vienna Teng a LOT while writing INCARNATE, but it's really just the mood of the music that got me into the storytelling mood. I also listened to a lot of classical music and more contemporary music by composers like William Joseph and Ludovico Einaudi.

How much of YOU is put into your characters?
Zero. My characters come fully formed. Sometimes we have similarities, just like normal people have similarities. But I don't consciously put myself into any character.
A large aspect of writing YA and MG books is to be relatable to teens. Provide five adjectives to describe your high school experience.
  • Exciting.
  • Scary.
  • Stressful.
  • Busy.
  • Happy.
What was your first car?
A 1982 Buick Regal. The thing was a tank. A tank that didn't always work.

Did you go to prom? Was it lame?
I did go to the prom, and it was lame, but I loved it anyway.


In your opinion, what is the BIGGEST misconception about kids/ teenagers?
That they can't handle it. Whatever it is. Teenagers handle a lot more than adults give them credit for. If you could go back in time and tell the 15 year-old you one thing, what would it be? Keep writing. Get some sleep, too. Wait, that's two things. Okay: get better at math.


Okay, time for the speed round of random questions. Ready? GO! What is your favorite mythical creature/ monster and why?
Unicorns! No, I actually like a lot of mythological creatures. I just thought since you were asking for a favorite again, I'd actually have an answer. And 15-year-old me totally would have said unicorns.

If you had a super power, what would it be and why?
The ability to clean my house with a mere thought.

Are you left-handed or right-handed?
Right-handed.

Do you write free-hand or type it out on the computer?  
I type! I've tried writing things by hand. I can't read them later.

What is your favorite curse word?
Apostrophes! (I don't curse. I swear to punctuation.)

What are you reading right now?
UNDER THE NEVER SKY by Veronica Rossi -- and loving it!

In your opinion, what is the hardest thing about writing?
It's all hard.

Many writers have experienced query rejections. How did you cope?
Chocolate. And writing more stories.

What advice do you have for young writers and those starting the writing journey?
Just write. Stop thinking about business. Write. Read. Learn. Think of rejections as one step closer to success.

A shout out to the hard-working agents: what is the #1 thing you love about your agent?
That depends on the day. Some days it's that she sold my books. Other days it's that she has a work ethic that makes mere mortals tremble. Many days it's that she GETS me and has my best interests at heart.


When you enter a bookstore next year and see your book on the shelf, what do you think your reaction would be?
Ask me after I peel myself off the floor.

Yep, that seems to be everyone’s reaction. Great concept. I can’t wait to read it and I hope to come back in my next life as cool as her. In the meantime, I'll parked across the street from her house...with binoculars. But only part-time, mind you. :P INCARNATE will be out January 2012.

Look out for next week’s interview with Lynne Kelly author of middle grade novel CHAINED.



Cheers!

2 comments:

  1. I was lucky enough to read this book in it's early incarnation *g* and I can't wait to read it again! The world is in for a treat and Jodi is one of the nicest, and most talented, people you'll ever meet.

    Congratulations, Jodi! You so deserve every success. Great interview Jaime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Incarnate sounds spectacular! I can't wait to read it!

    Also, I've awarded you the One Lovely Blog Award, so stop on by (Over Yonder...) and claim it! Congratulations! You really deserve it!

    ReplyDelete

__________________________________________________________

__________________________________________________________

Popular Posts

__________________________________________________________

__________________________________________________________

Followers

The Apocalypsies!!

WNDB

Powered by Blogger.